...... skating between the two as I navigate life's twisting, winding road...

Friday, May 6, 2011

Silence of the Night

The buds are nestled tightly in my ears.  The sounds of life do not exist for me right now.  All I can hear is strains of Barry Manilow filling my ears.  I can feel my body slowly rocking forward and backwards as Could It Be Magic fills my head. 

The only light is the flickering light of lightly scented candles.  The soft smell of lavender is very calming to my soul.   I can feel myself being lulled to a space where nothing but Barry and lavender exist.  It isn't such a bad place, you know. 

I've been feeling quite calm and at peace for most of the afternoon.  I found myself scurrying around my yard with blades of bright green grass tickling my ankles.  A camera was swinging from my wrist and a puppy was tugging my free hand.  He would turn every now and again and stare at me, as if to say, "Hurry up, Mom".   It was one of those rare moments in time where everything was and seemed right.  I still feel that way now.

Nothing can penetrate this bubble that I have surrounding me now.  There are no children fighting or arguing.  In fact, they aren't even home.  The animals are all fast asleep dreaming of fuzzy little mice and thick juicy bones.  Their world is, right now, just as perfect as my own. 

..let me know the wonder of all of you.. 

Barry is still singing in my ears.

When I was a little girl, I thought the moon and sun rose upon Barry Manilow.  Oh how I was in love!   I would skip around singing his songs, but needless to say, I didn't quite understand what he was truly singing about.  All that I know is that I wished my name was Mandy, and I would often dream that he would be singing to me.  Imagine that! 

It's funny the songs that I used to so enjoy when I was a kid and I never knew their meaning.  Afternoon Delight was a song that I didn't have a clue about.  I would sing it at the top of my lungs and I thought that it was the world's greatest song.  Little did I know that it was about having an afternoon quickie! 

Seasons in the Sun was another favorite.  Heck, I didn't know that the son was about someone dying.  But here I was all of six years old or so thinking this was one of the greatest songs that was ever recorded.

Ahhhh the innocence of youth..

The innocence that we will never reacquire.  It's a shame, isn't it?  I long for that innocence and naivety again.  Even if I could experience just for a single, solitary day. 

I wonder if life would be simpler or if it would be just as confusing as it is today. 

I won't ponder that tonight.  The peace that I feel prevents that from happening.  I'm going to keep on feeling this..

.. at least until the children come home and create havoc...

No comments:

Post a Comment