...... skating between the two as I navigate life's twisting, winding road...

Monday, May 16, 2011

"Be The Change You Want To See In The World"

*I wish that I could take credit for the title of this entry.  Those words, however, came from Gandhi.*


Words that are casually and carelessly thrown around can hurt.  They can tear away at the flesh of another human until the cut becomes a scar.  They never healed.  There is always a reminder sitting upon the skin that we look at every day of our lives.  Scars are with us for the rest of our lives.   

So, why do people use words in such a careless manner?  Why do human beings feel the need and the desire to hurt others with words?  The wounds of words hurt worse than the wounds of the fist.  So, why? 

I'm realizing that I've grown tired of silly, immature games that people play.  I've grown tired of watching people belittle and hurt another person's soul with no care of the lasting impression that they have made.   They do this with a smile upon their face.

I am unsure of their ability to see beyond the self-serving act of hurting another person.  Can they honestly see the pain in another's eyes?  Can they hear the wounded tone in their voice?  I hardly doubt it.

The way groups of people form a circle of hate and spew venomous words to maim and hurt another person.  People who are weak and unable to think for themselves jump on these bandwagons and think so little of the human race.  These people disappoint me most of all.  These are people who are weak and cannot think for themselves.  They would much rather be accepted by others than to stop and realize the hurt they are giving to another human being.

Matthew 22:37-39 (NIV)


Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

This is one of the most important things that should be practiced.   Do I love every single human being that I come in contact with?  No, I do not.  It is extremely difficult to do.  But I do not and will not stand in front of another human being with a heart and soul and spew words filled with hate.  

I cannot. 

I know how it feels to be standing there with someone tossing words around like autumn leaves blowing in the wind.  It hurts.  Deeply. 


If John or Susan were to stand in front of me and tell me that words do not affect them, I would not believe them.  I honestly believe that no one is impervious to hurting words.  


Words penetrate a person's soul.  Words create wounds.   Wounds produce scars.  Scars are a part of one for all eternity.  



1 comment:

  1. Hello! I found your blog! :)

    http://taintedholograms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete