...... skating between the two as I navigate life's twisting, winding road...

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Back to Basics

I sit here now feeling much relieved that the weekend has come to an end.  To say that it was a busy one would be an understatement.  I am, at this moment, bone tired.  I could literally fall asleep and it's only 7:30pm. 

Saturday was the most awesome day from start to finish.  I cannot complain at all.  One of my favorite pet projects was held Saturday.  It was a free bbq for the community.   My feelings about it are mixed.  I am elated that it went off without a hitch.  I'm thrilled that we served triple the amount of people that we did last year; however, I'm saddened that we did serve that many.  It means that the need is growing in our community instead of shrinking.  

I absolutely love these events.  I work my ass off doing all the planning and shopping, and I am always rewarded at the end.  Most of those that attended came up to me to shake my hand, shoot the breeze and thank me.  I always say that giving isn't a purely selfless act, because it isn't, and this proves it.  Each one that thanked me lifted my heart.  It was awesome to know that I could make a difference in someone's day.  It is awesome to know that the people that volunteered to help serve made a difference.  There is nothing more amazing than pulling people together, working with them and enjoying the benefits of it all.  

While I was there, a lady came up to me and started talking to me.  I noticed that throughout the bbq she was watching me pretty intently.  I didn't pay much attention to it.  She finally came up and said, "I know I have seen you somewhere before."  I asked if she was at the bbq last year and she said yes.  I suggested maybe she remembered me from there, and she didn't think so.  I asked her if she was at the Christmas Day dinner I organize, and she said yes.  I said that maybe she remembers me from there, and she said maybe.

She wandered away for awhile.  I harassed my hubby and his best friend who were grilling food.  I harassed the other volunteers, because I do that so well.  She then came back.  She asked me if I ever volunteered at Interfaith.  (Interfaith is a homeless program.  Homeless people are housed in various churches on a weekly basis.  My church brings and serves dinner to them.  9 times out of 10 it is my family that does this. )  I told her yes, and she said she was in the program a few years ago and she remembered me from there.  

My pastor's wife sums it up best.  She said it's wonderful to give, but there is something about making an impression and having someone remember you.  It made me feel darn good.  I admit it.  

Interfaith was actually where I spent Saturday night.  I zipped off to there right after the bbq.  I had a pretty good time there.  We sat around a table with the ones staying the night and shot the breeze.  I learned a lot about one woman's family.  We spent most of the time comparing notes on our children, complaining about their pain in the ass ways and discussing our desire to have grandchildren.  This wasn't our first meeting.  She was in the program the last time we took dinner to them.   She was supposed to have gotten an apartment, but I am assuming since she's still in the program that the apartment fell through.  I feel bad about that.  She was so excited to finally have her own place.

It's hard to imagine not having somewhere to put down roots.  It has to be hard to not have a bed to lie down on each night -- your own bed in your own home.  I hope that no one I know ever has to experience that.  No one.

After church today we took a ride to a hospital to visit an elderly church member.  She is the bomb!  I love this woman.  She's 93 years old and was full of piss and vinegar.  She loved to smooch on my hubby.  It was funny as hell because he would get so embarrassed.  My nickname for her is "Beautiful".  She is one hell of a beautiful woman -- inside and out.  I adore her.

She fell twice about three weeks ago.  Her husband took her to the hospital and she's been there ever since.  When I saw her today, it filled me with such worry.  She just wasn't the same today.  It's hard to imagine that three weeks time could change someone so rapidly and drastically.  

She was always so sharp and quick witted.  She was always on the go, and nothing could stop her.  Granted she wasn't racing marathons, but she always had energy.  

When I saw her today, she was out of it.  She didn't recognize another person that visited with us.  She just wasn't herself.  It was hard to see her like that.  It is hard to think of her like that.  

She is supposed to come home on Tuesday, but I am not so sure if she is really ready.  She didn't recognize Bob, and she didn't seem to really know where she was.  She was in the rehab portion of the geriatric ward, a.k.a. nursing home part.   She was lost.  
 
Another sad note, I bowled really bad this afternoon.  Oh cry me a river!  We had signed up for a family league at the lanes.  Hubby and my youngest are in second place.  My son and I are in 6th.  Ohhh it's bad, but we have a kick ass time.  It's a bonding thing for us all, I think.  My son, Nick, and I don't get much alone time together.  This was perfect for us.

Happiness, sadness and joy all rolled up into one weekend.  It's no wonder why I'm exhausted right now.  I supposed it doesn't help that I'm pretty sick.  I can't even swallow, and it bites ass.  I believe I heard my doctor's voice scolding me and telling me to go see him tomorrow. 
 
Maybe... 

No comments:

Post a Comment