...... skating between the two as I navigate life's twisting, winding road...

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Behind Bars


I spent the day in an unusual way.  It was, and still is, hot, sticky and humid.  My air conditioner that cools down the main living area is broken, so it meant dealing with the oppressive heat.  I sat curled up on the sofa feeling exhausted from the heat with sweat running down my chest, down the sides of my face and my hot laptop on my thighs.  I desperately wanted to take a nap, but instead decided to keep my mind busy.
 
 I lay my head to the side and aimlessly began to click links -- one after another -- usually ending up at a website that I would not look at normally.  I saw horrible plastic surgery photos, breaching great white sharks (my favorite), interesting and not so interesting Facebook statuses and then I came upon a website that held my attention for a better part of the afternoon.  I stumbled upon a website for prison pen pals.  I am unsure of what drove me there, and I don't even remember the road I traveled to get there.  All I know is that I was there and the site wasn't going to let me go.

I clicked open a profile and began to read it.   
 
He's pretty darn articulate and intelligent.. is what I found myself thinking to myself.   I browsed his photos and thought that he looked like the proverbial boy-next-door.  He had the softest eyes and the kind of smile that makes a person want to smile back. 

I scrolled down to a link which would let me know what crime he was committed of.   I never expected it really.  I am not sure exactly what I expected, if truth be known.  

He was on death row.  He was put there for committing murder.  

I perused probably 100 profiles on that site.  I spent a couple of hours viewing profiles and searching the internet to find articles concerning their crimes/cases.  It was interesting to say the least.   To my surprise, I read extensively about a couple of cases that seemed "fishy" and it seemed that the convicted offender was falsely accused.  

I can't say that I would ever establish a pen pal friendship with any of them.   I probably would not.    I would have a large spot of fear of the "what-ifs".
 
What if he got out of prison early?  Would he come here?  What if he committed many more crimes that he has yet to be accused/convicted of?   

He would have to be on death row with NO hope of appeal, but even then, I would have a hard time interacting with someone that, at one time, had so little regard for another human being's life.  No one should play God. 
 
It was a fascinating way to spend the afternoon though.   While I truly despise hot humid days like today, I am grateful for it, as strange as that may sound.  It gave me some time to kick back and just piss around.  I haven't done that in a long time it seems.  I found out a lot of interesting stuff -- maybe stuff that I will search for more information on.   Maybe not... 

In any case, it's time to hop in the shower, climb into bed in the air conditioned bedroom and go to bed.  Lounging around doing nothing except staring at a computer screen is tiring!  


No comments:

Post a Comment