...... skating between the two as I navigate life's twisting, winding road...

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Time Is Now


Currently, I am reading a book titled "Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  It was first published in 1957.  As I reading an old article about someone that I admire, I noticed that he said that this book was his most favorite.  I decided to give it a read.  I'm glad I did.

It is making me question life, particularly my own.  I am finding that I have begun to ask myself if certain things are necessary in my life.  I am also finding that most of the time the answer is "no".  This isn't much of a surprise really.  It is pretty apparent what is needed and what is not.  

This book has stumbled into my life at probably the best time.  It is now spring and I am finding myself trying desperately to shake the winter blues.  The blues grasped a hold of me quite tightly and would not release.  

Spring is a time of renewal.  Flowers push their way through the hard earth to show the world their bright, vibrant color.  Perhaps the flowers, themselves, have a lesson for me to learn.  I need to push through this rough period of blues and let the world see my colors.  

I sat in a restaurant on Saturday with my husband eating lunch.  As we sat there, a family that is familiar to us walked through to go to their vehicles.  The mother and father are devout Catholics, and they have 9 children together.  It was simply amazing to watch them.

I stared out the window in amazement as the oldest son carried the youngest outside.  Both had smiles on their faces, and were clearly enjoying each other's company.  The mother, in her handmade dress, turned around in mid-stride to locate her daughter.  Her daughter, wearing a exact replica of her mother's dress, smiled at her mother and ran up to her.  The mother was tender toward her daughter.  Her hand went up to caress her daughter's hair and I could clearly see just how much she loved her daughter.  It was quite amazing to witness.

They appeared happy even though they lacked the frivolous things most people carry around like badges of honor.  

I turned to my husband and asked, "Would it bother you if I dressed plain?  Would it bother you if I wore a simple long jumper?"

He said, "It wouldn't matter what you wore."

He meant it.  

It's time for change.  It's time to shake off these blues and start planning for spring.  

A bigger garden is on tap for spring so it will provide even more yummy goodness for my family to enjoy.  I would much rather eat from a garden that my own hands had a part in creating and keeping alive than I would somewhere else.  

Flowers, trees and bushes will be planted.  I cannot wait for this.  

A cosmetic overhaul of my kitchen is on the "to do" list.  Bright yellow and crystal clear cabinet knobs.

Things are going to happen.  It's time to change.  It's time to rejuvenate.  It's time to blossom.

I am quite looking forward to the change.  I'm looking forward to finding joy in simpler things.  Maybe it's time to shake all off all of life's frivolities.  

Simple can be better.  

No, it will be better.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment